The Safe DIY Way to Remove Basement Mold

Mold is something that’s a lot more dangerous than people give it credit for. Just because it doesn’t have physical teeth and physical claws means that you get to underestimate its power over your life. A house full of mold is a respiratory nightmare. Even if you start out feeling okay, chances are good that you will develop severe respiratory problems over the long run. Therefore, it’s smarter to really make sure that you have everything in your power to take care of the mold problems before they spiral out of control.

Why does mold grow so fast? It’s in the nature of mold to spread quickly in hot, humid environments. Your basement is one of those environments. A leak that goes out of control will create a fertile environment for mold. Once it sets in, mold definitely grows and grows until it takes over a space so completely that just being down there can make you feel dizzy and weak. To keep your basement dry and free of water get a water powered sump pump.

Using a hydrogen peroxide dilution will help you remove basement mold safely, but you’re still going to need to make absolutely sure that you’re protecting yourself. Don’t think about treating mold without having on protective clothing and a sturdy makes. This is not time to “cheap out” on these materials either — spend money on a good mask that blocks out the particles. That way you’re not risking your health too badly just because you want to get rid of the mold.

In order to keep the mold from coming back, you’re going to need to make some changes. First and foremost, you’re going to need to remove the humidity from that room. It starves the mold of what they need most to thrive — moisture.

You will also want to make sure that you do not store any wood in your basement. Mold loves wood, and it will spread like crazy through any wood that you store in the basement.

You will want to also direct water away from your home, so there’s no danger of runoff heading towards your house and draining down in the basement.

Overall, you will want to make sure that you watch the whole mold problem very carefully. Just because you take care of it once doesn’t mean that you will take care of it forever. Practicing smart mold prevention is the only way to go!